Chana Ghashi or Chick peas in Coconut gravy is an authentic Konkani delight wherein either raw jackfruit or Yam is added to enhance the flavour of the Ghashi. Since raw jackfruit is seasonal, yam is usually used. These need to be cooked separately in a pan as pressure cooking them along with the Chick peas will make them mushy.
- 200 gms chana/ Bengal gram/chick peas washed and soaked for 8 hours.
- 16 bite sized pieces of raw jackfruit or Yam
- 1/2 coconut grated
- 6 Guntur and 4 Byadgi chillies roasted or any dry red chillies that are available.
- 1 tbsp tamarind paste
- 1 tbsp grated coconut kept separately.
- 2 tbsps of Parachute Coconut oil
- 1 heaped tsp of mustard
- A pinch of turmeric
- 5 sprigs of curry leaves
Pressure cook the chana with salt. Also cook the raw jackfruit or Yam separately in salted water. Grind the coconut, roasted red chillies and tamarind to a smooth paste. Add it to the cooked chana and the raw jackfruit or Yam. Boil well. Heat 2 tbsps oil add a spoon of mustard. After it splutters add the tbsp of grated coconut. Toss and add a pinch of turmeric. Drop in 5 sprigs curry leaves. Switch off and drop the seasoning into the boiling ghashi.
Copyright © 2017 by Vinaya Prabhu. All rights reserved.