This highly aromatic dish of Lapsi / Bulgar wheat and Chana dal / Bengal Gram dal is simply divine!!! Drizzled with ghee/clarified butter and garnished with slices of banana it is a quick and easy dessert that the Konkani community of Mangalore relish!!!
- 125 gms Chana dal/Bengal Gram dal
- 125 gms Lapsi rava/Bulgar wheat
- 1/2 a small coconut grated
- 250 gms sugar
- 3 big ladles full ghee/ clarified butter
- 1.5 tsp powdered elaichi/Cardamom
- A handful of cashew nuts roasted in ghee to a golden brown
- A handful of kishmish
Dry roast the chana dal and the Lapsi rava separately to a rich golden brown and pressure cook the Chana dal in 500ml of water. Three whistles of the pressure cooker and it is done. Add the Lapsi rava and another 500ml of water to cook it. Once the Lapsi rava is cooked add the sugar, grated coconut, roasted cashew nuts and kishmish and boil till it starts to leave the sides of the pan. Add the ghee and elaichi powder and mix well. Switch off and serve with sliced elaichi banana.
Copyright © 2017 by Vinaya Prabhu. All rights reserved.