This is a one pot meal where Brinjal is the vegetable of choice. Usually made with the long green variety of Brinjals available during the season, it can also be made with the regular ones too.
Vangi Bhath Powder:
- 2 tbsps Coriander seeds
- 1 tsp Jeera/Cumin seeds
- 4 tbsps Urad dal/Black gram dal
- 4 tbsps Chana dal/Bengal Gram Dal
- 1 inch piece of Cinnamon
- 4 Cloves
- 1 tsp Khuskhus/Poppy seeds
- 1 tbsp Copra/Dry coconut grated
- 12 Dry red chillies roasted in a little oil.
Dry roast all the above ingredients except the chillies till they change colour. Powder them and store in an air tight container.
- 250 gms rice cooked and ready( should be firm)
- 2 green brinjals(the long variety) chopped into bite sized pieces
- 1 tbsp tamarind paste
- A pinch of hing/asafoetida
- A pinch of haldi/turmeric
- 1 broken red chilly
- 2 slit green chillies
- 5 sprigs curry leaves
- 3 tbsps Vangi bhath powder
- A handful of peanuts
- A pinch of jaggery
- 4 tbsps oil
- 1tsp mustard
- 1tsp Urad Dal/black gram dal
- 1 tsp Chana Dal / Bengal Gram Dal
Heat oil in a pan. . Add a tsp of mustard and after it splutters add a tsp of urad dal and a tsp of chana dal. When they turn golden, add the peanuts, and roast till they change colour. Add the hing, slit green chillies, red chilly and the curry leaves. Toss and add the haldi, immediately followed by the brinjal and salt. Cook till the brinjal are tender. Add the vangi bhath powder, tamarind paste and the jaggery. Mix well. Add the cooked and ready rice and adjust salt. Serve with Raita.
Copyright © 2018 by Vinaya Prabhu. All rights reserved.