One of the family’s favourite breakfast eats is this three in one Batter where one can make a thick or paper thin dosa/crepe or Appam. Since it is spiced with green chillies and ginger, it is best enjoyed with homemade butter than with chutney. You can also use store bought butter though nothing can beat the taste of fresh homemade butter. The batter needs no fermentation and all the three dishes can be made instantly.
- 100 gms urad dal
- 250 gms moong dal/ green gram dal
- 15 green chillies
- 2 inch piece of ginger
- A rajma/kidney bean sized piece of hing /asafoetida
- 10 sprigs curry leaves
- Oil or ghee/ clarified butter
Wash and soak the urad and moong dal for four hours. Grind in the wet grinder non stop for half an hour adding water a little at a time to get a thick and fluffy batter of pouring consistency. Remove in a vessel. Crush the green chillies, ginger and hing and drop it into the batter. Add finely chopped curry leaves and salt and mix thoroughly. Let the batter stand for ten minutes. Mix again before making dosa.
1.Pour a ladleful of the batter on to a hot tava/skillet. Do not spread it much, with thickness being that of a pancake . Drizzle with oil or Ghee and allow to roast. Flip and roast on the other side too. Place on a plate.
2. Pour a ladleful of batter on to a hot tava. Spread it in concentric circles as thinly as possible to make a paper thin dosa. Drizzle with oil or Ghee and roast to a rich golden brown. Flip and roast on the other side too. Place on a plate.
3. Heat the Appam pan. An Appam pan has tiny troughs which hold the batter to be roasted. First drizzle some oil into all the troughs. Pour in the batter, cover and roast. Flip. Roast on the other side too to a rich golden brown. Place the appams on a plate.
Note: If one is using the blender/ mixer to grind the dals, the proportion of urad to moong dal is 1:2. Number of green chillies too need to be reduced as the batter does not increase in volume as when ground in a wet grinder.
Copyright © 2017 by Vinaya Prabhu. All rights reserved.