One of the easiest and tastiest when one has run out of vegetables is the Batata nu Shaak or Batata nu Rasavala Subzi. Goes well with both Roti or rice. I love it with hot Phulkas.
- 5 potatoes deskinned and cubed
- 2 large tomatoes finely chopped
- 3 tbsps oil
- 1 tsp mustard
- 1 heaped tsp Jeera /Cumin seeds
- A pinch of Hing/asafoetida
- 2 tbsps Coriander powder
- 1 tsp Cumin Powder
- 1/4 tsp Haldi /Turmeric powder
- 2 tsps Kashmiri Chilly powder
- 1 tsp sugar
- Coriander leaves finely chopped.
Heat the oil in a pan. Add the mustard and after it splutters add the Cumin seeds and Hing. Drop in the potato cubes, chilly, turmeric, Coriander and Cumin powder. Mix well. Add the salt and sugar and half a glass of water. Cover and cook till three fourth done. Drop in the tomatoes and cook till done. Garnish with coriander leaves.