Panak is a drink made by boiling jaggery and spiced with pepper and dry ginger. Cardamom is, added for flavour and a generous amount of lemon juice adds to the tang. Panak is traditionally made to celebrate Ramanavami, the birthday of Lord Shri Rama. Moong dal Kosambari/ salad too is offered. Posting the recipes for both today.
Ingredients for Panak
- 2. 5 Litres water
- 1/2 kg jaggery
- 2 heaped tsps dry ginger powder
- 2 heaped tsps freshly crushed pepper powder
- 18 Cardamoms powdered
- Juice of 3 lemons
Boil the jaggery, dry ginger powder and the pepper powder in 2.5litres of water till the jaggery dissolves. Switch off and add the Cardamom powder. Keep aside covered tightly for the flavours to infuse. Allow to cool. Refrigerate. Add the juice of lemon, mix well and serve chilled.
Ingredients for Moong dal/Green gram Dal Kosambari
- 100 gms moong dal washed and soaked for a couple of hours
- 1 small cucumber minced
- 1/2 of a small raw mango minced
- 1/4 of a small coconut grated
- 2 green chillies chopped fine and crushed with salt
- Coriander leaves finely chopped
- Juice of half of a small lemon
- 1tsp coconut oil
- 1tsp mustard
- 2 sprigs curry leaves
Drain the soaked moong dal. Add the crushed chillies, salt, chopped mango, cucumber, coriander leaves and finely grated coconut. Heat a tsp of oil and add a tsp of mustard. After it crackles add the curry leaves. Drop it into the Kosambari. Drizzle with lemon juice. Mix well and serve.
Copyright © 2018 by Vinaya Prabhu. All rights reserved.