Leftover idlis can be turned into these yummy roasted masala idlis for a quick evening snack. I have shared a couple of recipes of how leftover idlis can be put to use either by roasting them, turning them into a Manchurian or by making an upma of them. Posting the recipe today which my friend Rita Vaz shared with me of how she roasts them with masala.
- 10 Leftover Idlis ( refrigerated)
- 1 medium sized onion finely chopped
- 2 tsps Molgapudi
- 1/2 tsp Kashmiri chilly powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
For the tempering:
- 2 tbsps coconut oil or regular cooking oil
- 1/4 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/4 tsp Hing/ asafoetida
- 10 curry leaves
- 2 green chillies finely chopped
- 1/2 cup coriander leaves chopped
- Heat oil in a pan. Add the mustard seeds. When they start to sputter add cumin, asafoetida and curry leaves.
- Add onions and roast till they turn translucent.
- Lower the flame add Kashmiri chilly powder, turmeric and green chillies and roast for 30 seconds.
- Add chutney powder and roast for 30 seconds.
- Add 1/4 cup hot water and stir to mix well.
- Add Idlis directly from the fridge and coat them well with the masala, cover and cook for one minute on a medium flame.
- Remove the cover and roast the Idlis until the water has completely dried.
- Remove from flame.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
Copyright © 2021 by Vinaya Prabhu. All rights reserved.
For more vegetarian recipes please join Vegetarian Culinary Delights by Vinaya on Fb.