Mangalore Cucumber as the very name indicates is a variety of cucumber grown in places in and around Mangalore. Called Magge in Konkani, it can be enjoyed raw or cooked in a variety of ways.
- 250 gms Mangalore cucumber cut into bite sized pieces with the skin.
- Half of a medium sized coconut grated
- 6 Byadgi chillies roasted
- 6 Guntur chillies roasted
- 1 tbsp tamarind paste
- 25 garlic cloves
- 3 tbsps coconut oil (or oil of choice)
Pressure cook the Cucumber to two whistles with a little salt.
Grind the coconut, roasted red chillies and tamarind to a smooth paste. Add it to the cooked cucumber . Adjust salt and add enough water to make it to a gravy like consistency. Heat 3 tbsps oil. Add the garlic and roast to a rich golden brown. Season the koddel with it and boil well. Keep aside and allow to infuse for about half an hour before serving.
Copyright © 2017. All rights reserved.