This Eggplant and Potato Curry is a quick, easy and delicious recipe which goes well with Roti, Rice or bread. You can substitute Eggplant with any vegetable of your choice or even make it with Potato only.
- 250 gms Baby eggplant, stem removed and then slit lengthwise at the stem but base kept intact.
- 5 medium sized potatoes peeled and quartered
- A medium sized bunch of coriander leaves
- 2 tbsps Everest Tikhalal Chilly powder
- 1/4 tsp Haldi/Turmeric powder
- 3 tbsps Coriander powder
- 1 tbsp Jeera/Cumin powder
- 2 heaped tbsps jaggery
- 15 garlic cloves ground to a paste
- 150 gms Besan/Chickpea flour
- 7 tbsps oil of choice
- Boiling hot water.
Finely chop the coriander leaves. Tip in the ground garlic paste, jaggery, salt, coriander, cumin, turmeric and chilly powders, Besan and two tbsps of oil. Mix thoroughly and stuff this mixture in the slit eggplants. Keep the left over mixture aside. Heat the remaining oil in a pressure cooker. Drop in the quartered potatoes and saute for a minute. Add the stuffed eggplants and the remaining mixture and saute again for a minute. Pour in the boiling hot water and pressure cook the subzi to two whistles. Garnish with finely chopped coriander leaves before serving.
Always use boiling hot water. Cold water can ruin the texture of the gravy.