This Tomato and Onion Subzi goes well with Rice or Roti. Simple, easy and tasty, this dish is ready in no time. The aroma of the Fenugreek seeds blend well with the tangy tomatoes. You can use either sugar or jaggery to add that slight sweetness to the dish. My heartfelt thanks to my dear friend Bharathi Lahiri for sharing this recipe with me.
- 4 small tomatoes chopped fine
- 1 medium onion chopped fine
- 3 green chillies chopped fine
- 1/4 tsp Methi/Fenugreek seeds
- 1 tsp Chilly powder
- 1/2 tsp Haldi/Turmeric powder
- A large pinch of Hing/asafoetida
- 3 tsps Oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- Sugar to taste
- Coriander leaves chopped fine.
Heat the oil in a pan. Add the mustard and after it splutters add the Hing, Haldi and Methi seeds. Toss. Add the onion. Saute till onion turns translucent. Add the tomatoes, green chillies, chilli powder, salt and sugar. Mix well. Cover and cook till tomatoes turn mushy. Garnish with coriander leaves.