Malbar Spinach Ambat is a typically Mangalorean preparation best enjoyed with hot rice. Seasoned with onions in coconut oil it is simply delicious!
- 1 medium sized bunch of Malabar spinach
- One large onion chopped roughly
- Yam around 25 small pieces cubed
- 1/2 of a small coconut
- 6 Byadgi chillies and 6 Guntur chillies roasted
- 1 tbsp tamarind paste
- One large fistful toor dal/ pigeon peas pressure cooked and churned.
- 2 onions chopped fine
- 5tbsp oil
Clean, wash and chop the Malabar spinach. Add the roughly chopped onion, sooran/yam and salt and pressure cook to one whistle. Grind the coconut, roasted red chillies and tamarind to a smooth paste. Drop it along with the cooked dal into the cooked veggies. Boil well. Heat 5 tbsps oil. Add the finely chopped onions and 15 methi seeds. Roast to a rich brown. Drop the seasoning into the boiling Ambat. Keep aside for half an hour for the flavours to infuse.
Copyright © 2017. All rights reserved.