Gajbaje literally means a concoction in Konkani. This dish is a flavourful concoction of a variety of vegetables that are available during the monsoons. Enjoy it with rice or on its own. It is a meal by itself!!!
50 gms each of the following vegetables:
- Pointed gourd/Ghointa/parwal
- Teasel gourd/Phagila/ kanthola
- Farmyard beans/alsando/chawli
- Pumpkin/dudhi/Lal bhopla
- Mangalore cucumber/magge
- Sweet potato/ kanang/ratalu Jackfruit seed/bikkand/fanas ka beej
- Taro leaves/terya panna ganti/arbi ke pathe
- Ridgegourd/ghosale /turiya
- Sweet corn/jolu/makai
- Tender bamboo shoots/keerlu
- 100gms Hogplums/ambadi
- 1 coconut grated
- 12 roasted dry red chillies
- 4 tbsps coconut oil
- 2tsps mustard
- 5 sprigs curry leaves.
Cook all the vegetables in salted water till done.Crush the hog plums and cook them separately. Grind the coconut and roasted red chillies to a smooth paste. Add the cooked hog plums and masala to the vegetables and boil well.
Heat coconut oil. Add mustard and after it splutters add the curry leaves, toss and pour into the gajbaje.
Note: in case of unavailability of hog plums replace it with 1 heaped tbsp of tamarind paste.
Copyright © 2017. All rights reserved.